The NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Essex will help you take control of your health, supporting you to make changes to your diet, weight and the amount of exercise you do.
Taking this kind of action now is very important as it can reduce your risk of, or even stop you, developing Type 2 diabetes.
How does it work?
In a group setting, you will work with a trained health coach to learn the skills you need to make lasting lifestyle changes. The nine month programme will help you to:
- Learn about nutrition and health
- Add physical activity into your lifestyle
- Stay motivated
- Solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes
- Gain life changing skills and knowledge for long term success
Spaces on the programme are limited so we ask you to only join if you can commit to attend:
- One to one initial assessment, lasting one hour
- Ten weekly group sessions that include health lifestyle advice and physical activity (two hours each session)
- Four monthly group sessions that include strategies to help you maintain your lifestyle changes
- Three one-to-one progress review sessions lasting an hour at three, six and nine months
Sessions are held at various locations throughout Essex with time to suit you, including during the day, evenings and weekends. So you’re sure to find a group convenient for you.
How to join
If you have been told you are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes and haven’t already been referred to the service, ask your GP, nurse or NHS Health Check professional to refer you to the NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme in Essex.
You can also contact the service by:
Calling: 0800 092 1191
Emailing: [email protected]